Friday 6 February 2009

“Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul” Plato

So when I came back down from Manchester, I was sent with a great book in my hand. High Fidelity. I'd seen the film and i'd read the first part of the book and loved both. Paul was shocked and horrified that I hadn't read the whole book and decided to lend me his copy.

When I told him I had finished it, kindly volunteered to send me one... For fun and also for politeness I said I would send something back to him and decided on a compilation CD. Then I recalled the following quote...

"The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules." Nick Horby - High Fidelity

I have no idea what to put on the mix. Do I put the music I truly love? or do I put the music he will truly appreciate?

Music says so much about who we are, and about how we feel and I certainly do not want to give the wrong messages, or really too many of the right messages. Uh oh. I'm at a bit of a loss here.

We discuss music a lot and while our tastes both centre around the same music, we go off in completely different directions in the more 'alternative' (man, I hate that word) genres.

“Music does bring people together. It allows us to experience the same emotions. People everywhere are the same in heart and spirit.”

I want to make this mix a good one...

Action point for Melanie - Any ideas for tracks? You always seem to be good at this kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment