Class is timeless, it effortlessly displays the epitome of feminine beauty and best of all, from what I have read, we can all shy away from the ever-changing fashions and move towards the styles of a more glamorous time. I’m thinking Chanel, Audrey Hepburn, or for a more modern day example think of Catherine Zeta Jones.
OK so the majority of us mere mortals are unable to afford their style, but basics are the key and I badly need a new wardrobe.
Unfortunately in the past year my wages have been too low to allow for any luxuries what-so-ever (I do not doubt the vast majority of people are in the same situation!) and it has now reached the stage that everything I do have is covered in holes or rips and it looks awful. I cannot rock the scruffy look any longer. I need well fitting clothes; I need clothes that I do not feel embarrassed to wear. It is time for a new look, time for some style and elegance in replacement of my current hobo-esque gear.
“Fashion is made to become unfashionable.”
So here I go, with a (slight) pay rise on the horizon I am going to gradually build up my essentials by investing in clothes. I must first purchase all my basics as well as a few ‘classic’ pieces. I.E. spend a little bit more than I can afford but get plenty of use of the piece for years.
The Staple Diet of Clothes,
- 2 well fitting, well made short sleeved T-shirts (1 black, 1 white)
- 2 well fitting, well made long sleeved T-shirts (1 black, 1 white)
- 2 pairs of well fitting, well made jeans (1 casual, 1 smart)
- 1 slim line / pencil skirt (perhaps less the pencil skirt as I seem to always be in a rush and the penguin run does nothing for anyone!
- 1 blouse (purchased from Bravissimo to stop the gaping look!)
- 1 pair of black trousers
- 1 pair of tailored trousers
- 1 well fitting cute cardigan
The Elegant Extras (any links are likely to be way out my price tag - but I can dream :)
- Winter Jacket… ideally something long in a neutral colour, or black, get it right and it will last you 10-15 years easily!
- The Perfect Little Black Dress Something that flatters my shape and that I feel great in. Can be used for any occasion
- Little Shift Dress Ideal for lunches or teaming with your fancy jacket and some cute shoes
- Blazer jacket… difficult for us bigger bussed ladies but one of the most versatile items of clothing many of us will own… cocktails, interviews, meetings, dates… it works for them all.
- Cute but comfy toeless sling backs Some amazing shoes to go with my newly formed basics.
- An Authentic Birkin Bag Amazing! I would kill for one of these!