Wednesday 1 April 2009

“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.” - Tennessee Williams

Sometimes you meet someone and while you don't realise it at the time, they have changed your life forever.

These people do not have to do anything extraordinary, they do not have to be blatant about it, it just happens, as natural as waking up in the morning. They make you see the world in a different way and open your eyes to all the little things that you have been trying to see for years.

When I moved to London I was lonely, and I retreated into myself. I never went out and I focused solely on work, then one sunny afternoon in walks a young couple, Fiona and her amazing boyfriend Stuart. Fiona is a smiley skinny little thing. A nurse by day, a party girl by night. She has an energy and a laugh that can bounce around any room and a personality far bigger than her tiny frame. I quickly discovered she was possibly the nicest girl I have ever met.

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
Carl Jung


We clicked instantly and ended up having a bit of a night out (understatement...) to which I was invited with Fiona and her lovely friends. By the next day, I knew. we were mates for life.

Last Sunday Fiona moved back to Australia and for me it felt like a horrific breakup. I tried to stay strong and not cry, but I didn't really succeed, I literally felt heartbroken. I cried for hours after she left and then braved a walk into town, where I proceeded to cry some more. It was as though I was grieving. I have lost such a lovely friend, one of the best friends I have ever had.



You know when you see these girly friendships on television or in a film and while they look fun and sweet it looks fake and almost pathetic... well that is the kind of friendship I had with Fiona. Sunday afternoons with a bottle of wine, Saturday mornings curled up under a duvet etc etc.

The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


It was strange because we never had big heart-to-heart conversations, I mean don't get me wrong we had chats but never about hopes or ambitions, or past regrets. If something was needing vented at the time, it always referred to the present. This of course did at times involve sharing tears - over men, over life. But the big in depth discussions friends usually have... there never seemed any need for them.

Fiona is one of those people who truly has a heart of gold and I miss her and will continue to miss her more than I ever thought possible.

Without a doubt one of the best friends I have ever had and our friendship has changed me for the better. I can not thank her enough for that. she taught me how to relax, how to live for the moment and how to embrace life and everything it gives you.

“Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.”


Miss ya loads mate x

1 comment:

  1. Awwww... I wish I had friends like that. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete